Around 3 am my mind started to wander as I was perched between my twins on the floor feeding them. I thought about what a different mom I was to my son, a singleton. Often, these kinds of thoughts flood me with guilt. Yet, sometimes I just wonder if it really has anything to do with the twin factor – or if it is just the way it is with all second or third children.
* As a mom to a singleton I nursed until he was 11 months old. As a mom to twins, I nursed for 2 months.
* As a mom to a singleton, I made all my own baby food. As a mom to twins, I plan to buy the jars in bulk.
* As a mom to a singleton, I researched all the best brands and purchased them regardless of price. As a mom to twins, I gladly accept any brand as long as it is cheap or free.
* As a mom to a singleton, I read to my son for hours each day. As a mom to twins, I beg my son to read to them.
* As a mom to a singleton, I dressed him in cute outfits daily. As a mom to twins, they sometimes never make it out of their jammies (and sometimes I don’t either).
* As a mom to a singleton, I gave nightly baths and massages. As a mom to twins, we bathe about every other day and at whatever time we can squeeze it in.
* As a mom to a singleton, my son took his regularly scheduled naps in his crib each and every day. As a mom to twins, the girls nap on the road whenever they can and where-ever we are at the time.
* As a mom to a singleton, I uploaded photos on a weekly basis. As a mom to twins, they get uploaded monthly.
* As a mom to a singleton, we used only the name brands for formula, diapers, etc. As a mom to twins, we go generic whenever we can.
* As a mom to a singleton, I wore heels. As a mom to twins, I wear flats.
* As a mom to a singleton, my house still had some proof that adults live here. As a mom to twins, our home looks like a toys ‘r us or babies ‘r us exploded.
Many of you can relate even if you don’t have twins. Maybe I was just a little crazy when it came to my first. Perhaps having twins is what has made me sane.
Let me reassure you that you are perfectly normal. I did the same thing. I have more pictures than you can imagine of Adam, about 1/4 of that for Cory and poor Evan it was hardly any at all. I was a stay at home mom with the first two but worked partime and then full time with the third. I still feel guilty to this day that I was not able to do what I did for the first for the other two but that is just the way it is. What is the MOST important is that you let them know they are loved and safe in your care. THINGS & BRANDS will not affect them as much as feeling LOVED AND SAFE.
ReplyDeleteAm only now getting to read your blogs, and let me say that it was the same with me. Your aunts while not twins might just as well have been since they were all 13 months or just a little more apart. But Kevin came along 3and1/2 yrs later and I still was not able to give him or Mel the same kind of time I spent with Beth.
ReplyDelete